Do you struggle to write articles for your business website or blog? Article writing might seem like the simplest thing in the world but it’s a task that calls on multiple skills – and if you’re not a ‘natural’ writer, you’ll also need that great virtue, patience!
Ideally, a blog writer should have some knowledge of the subject they intend to write about. If you’re writing articles for your own site, the chances are you’ve got that covered. You need to be able to do a little research and check facts. Okay so far – most people are capable of doing that. Where it gets tricky for some is when it comes to deciding what to include and exclude, structuring an article, and making it sound great.
Experienced article writers have the advantage there – many have written hundreds or thousands of articles. Our article writers have an even greater advantage – most have studied writing at a tertiary level and been required to write in and study a range of writing styles and formats. They also have excellent language skills. Article writing comes easy to them – so much so that structure becomes quite automatic and isn’t something they have to spend time working on.
Of course, for the average site owner who isn’t into article writing, writing a single article can be quite laborious – deciding what to include, mapping out a structure, creating a nice opening and closing paragraph, choosing a title, and then checking to ensure sentence structure, grammar and punctuation are correct. Even then, it may not sound right on the final read through – perhaps it’s not exciting enough, or just doesn’t seem likely to interest site visitors.
Could it be that it’s not written for the right audience? That’s yet another factor an article writer must consider every time they write an article – demographics. A good writer is able to switch between demographics – for example, between writing articles for a young adult audience and writing for retirees. The danger for a site owner who isn’t used to writing articles is that rather than write to the target demographic, they’ll write to their own demographic.
For the person who is keen to develop their writing skills, writing articles is great practice and skills are likely to improve over time. For those who abhor writing, or lack the skills or patience to prepare good quality articles, the writing is perhaps best outsourced to an article writing service.
There’s no need to feel bad about using an article service – writing is a skill just like bricklaying or accounting. You won’t see too many writers doing any bricklaying and they’re notoriously bad with figures!
If you are attempting to write your own articles, here is a simple strategy that might help:
- Choose a broad article topic. Do a little research online and think about what you have to say on the topic. Jot down three to six points you’d like to make.
- Elaborate on those points, and turning each one into a paragraph. Are the paragraphs in the right order? If one point tends to lead to another, put them in the most logical sequence.
- Write a closing paragraph – sum up what you’ve said and round off your article with a good closing line, or a ‘call to action’ if that’s appropriate.
- Write an introductory paragraph, that either nicely leads into your topic and points, or tells the reader what the article is about.
- Finally, if you’d already chosen an article title, look at it again. Does it still suit the article you’ve written? If not, choose another.
If it’s all too much like hard work, or you simply don’t have time to write articles, why not hand the task over to our experienced article writers?